Schlumberger Professor Emeritus of Advanced Studies and Research and
Research Professor of Earth Science
- Delhi University, Physics B.Sc. (Honors) 1951
- Delhi University, Physics M.Sc. 1953
- Columbia University Geophysics Ph.D 1959
- Oslo University, Norway, Ph.D.(Hon. Causa) 1981
Phone: (713) 348-6067
Office: 220 Keith-Wiess Geology Labs
Honors and Awards
- MEMBER Sigma XI, 1960
- First KRISHNAN MEDAL, Indian Geophysical Union, 1965
- Sixth JAMES B. MACELWANE AWARD, American Geophysical Union, 1967
- FELLOW, AMERICAN GEOPHYSICAL UNION, 1971
- NASA EXCEPTIONAL SCIENTIFIC ACHIEVEMENT AWARD, 1973
- GUGGENHEIM Fellowship, 1973-74
- FULBRIGHT-HAYS Grant, 1973-74
- FELLOW, AMERICAN ASSOCIATION FOR ADVANCEMENT OF SCIENCE, 1977
- EXEMPLAR OF EXCELLENCE , EXPLORER OF BRAHMA, Embassy of India,1979
- Sixth MAURICE EWING AWARD FOR LEADERSHIP IN OCEANOGRAPHY, American Geophysical Union and United States Navy, 1981
- HONORARY DOCTORATE of PHILOSOPHY, University of Oslo, Norway, 1981
- Second GEORGE P. WOOLLARD AWARD, Geological Society of America, 1984
- FELLOW, NORWEGIAN ACADEMY OF ARTS AND SCIENCES, 1987
- SACKLER DISTINGUISHED LECTURER, University of Tel Aviv, Israel, 1988
- UNESCO TOKTEN AWARD National Institute of Oceanography, Goa, India,1990
- FOREIGN MEMBER, RUSSIAN ACADEMY OF NATURAL SCIENCES, 1992
- ALFRED WEGENER MEDAL, European Union of Geoscience, 1993
- HONORARY MEMBER, Houston Geophysical Society, 1993
- FOREIGN FELLOW, Geological Society of India, 2000
- LUDGER MINTROP AWARD, European Association of Geoscientists and Engineers, 2002
- EMILE WIECHERT MEDAL, German Geophysical Society, 2009
- GOLDSCHMIDT LECTURE, NORWEGIAN GEOL. SURVEY, (2010)
- ARCTIC CONFERENCE DAYS, Tromsoe, Norway, Keynote speaker (2010)
- Schlumberger Professor Emeritus and Research Professor, Rice University, 2006–present.
- President & CEO, Integrated Ocean Drilling Program-Management International, 2004–2009
- Schlumberger Professor, Rice University, 1985–2006
- Director, Geotechnology Research Institute, Houston Advanced Research Center, 1985–1998
- Chief Scientist, Gulf Research & Development Company, 1983–85
- Director, Center for Marine Crustal Studies, Gulf Research & Development Company, 1981–1983
- Director, Lamont-Doherty Geological Observatory, 1972–81
- Professor of Geophysics, Columbia University, 1970–82
- Research Scientist, Senior Research Associate, and Associate Professor, Lamont-Doherty Geological Observatory of Columbia University, 1959–70
I am engaged in a variety of research efforts. These include:
- Interpreting the results of an airborne gravity gradiometer survey over the San Andreas Fault drill site.
- Examining the potential application of a very sensitive gravity gradiometer to trace the leakage of CO2 sequestered in drill holes.
- Studying the feasibility of increased use of Venezuelan heavy oil.
- Investigating the structure of continental margins.
I am engaged in investigating avenues of cooperation in research between academia and industry by arranging special sessions at national meetings.
- Talwani, M., and W.C. Pitman, (eds.), 'Island Arcs Deep Sea Trenches and Back Arc Basins,' 470p, Maurice Ewing Series, No. 1, American Geophysical Union, Washington, D.C. (1977).
- Talwani, M., C.G. Harrison, and D.E. Hayes (eds.), 'Deep Drilling Results in the Atlantic Ocean: Ocean Crust,' 431p, Maurice Ewing Series, No.2, American Geophysical Union, Washington, D.C. (1979).
- Talwani, M., W.W. Hay, and W.B.F. Ryan (eds.), 'Deep Drilling Results in the Atlantic Ocean: Continental Margins and Paleoenvironment,' 437p, Maurice Ewing Series, No. 3, American Geophysical Union, Washington, D.C., (1979).
- Scrutton, R.A. and M. Talwani (eds.), 'The Ocean Floor,' 318p, John Wiley and Sons, New York (1982).
- Bott, M.H.P., S. Saxov, M. Talwani, and J. Thiede, (eds.), 'Structure and Development of the Greenland Scotland Ridge: New Methods and Concepts.' 685p, Plenum Press, New York (1983).
- Banda, E., M. Torne, and M. Talwani (eds.), 'Rifted Ocean-Continent Boundaries' 387p, NATO ASI Series 1994.
- Mohriak,W., and M.Talwani (eds.), 'Atlantic Rifts and Continental Margins' 354p. Geophysical Monograph 115,American Geophysical Union,Washington D.C. (2000).
Selected Published Articles (15 out of a total of more than 150 publications)
- Talwani, Manik, J. Lamar Worzel, and Mark Landisman, Rapid gravity computations for two-dimensional bodies with application to the Mendocino submarine fracture zone, J. Geophys. Res., 64(1), 49–59, 1959.
- Talwani, Manik and Maurice Ewing, Rapid computation of gravitational attraction of three-dimensional bodies of arbitrary shape, Geophysics, 25(1), 203–225, 1960.
- Talwani, Manik and James R. Heirtzler, Computation of magnetic anomalies caused by two-dimensional structures of arbitrary shape. Computers in the Mineral Industries, George A. Parks (ed.), School of Earth Sciences, Stanford University (Publc.), 464–480, 1964.
- Talwani, Manik, Computation with the help of a digital computer of magnetic anomalies caused by bodies of arbitrary shape, Geophysics, 30(5), 797–817, 1965—Reprinted in Golden Anniversary issue of Geophysics, 1985, as one of top papers in Geophysics, 1960–1985.
- Talwani, Manik, James H. Dorman, J. Lamar Worzel, and George M. Bryan, Navigation at sea by satellite, J. Geophys. Res., 71(24), 5891–5902, 1966.
- Talwani, Manik, Charles C. Windisch, and Marcus G. Langseth, Jr., Reykjanes Ridge Crest: A detailed geophysical study, J. Geophys. Res., 76(2), 473–517, 1971. Citation index selected this as one of most cited papers in Geophysics, 1972–1981.
- Pitman, Walter C., III, and Manik Talwani, Sea–floor spreading in the North Atlantic, Geol. Soc. Am. Bull., 83, 619–646, 1972.
- Talwani, Manik, Lunar gravity traverse equipment, The Moon, D. Reidel Publishing Co., 4, 307, 1972.
- Talwani, M., and Olav Eldholm, Evolution of the Norwegian-Greenland Sea, Geol. Soc. Am. Bull., 88, 969–999, 1977.
- Mutter, J.C., M. Talwani, and P.L. Stoffa, Origin of seaward-dipping reflectors in oceanic crust off the Norwegian margin by 'sub–aerial sea–floor spreading,' Geology, 10, 353–357, 1982.
- Naini, B.R., and M. Talwani , Structural framework and the evolutionary history of the continental margin of western India, Proc. of the Hollis Hedberg Symposium, Galveston, TX, January 12–16, 1981, Studies in Continental Margin Geology, AAPG Memoir 34, 167–191, 1983.
- Alsop, L.E. and M. Talwani, The East Coast Magnetic Anomaly, Science 226, 1189–1191, 1984.
- Austin, James A. Jr., and M. Talwani, EDGE—An Initiative to Study Submerged Continental Lithosphere Around the U.S., EOS, 70v12, 177, 1989.
- Talwani, M., J. Ewing, R.E. Sheridan, W.S. Holbrook, and L. Glover, III. The EDGE experiment and the U.S. Coast Magnetic anomaly, in NATO/ARW Series book 'Rifted Ocean–Continent Boundaries,' E. Banda, M. Talwani and M. Torne (eds), 155–181, 1995.
- Talwani, Manik, and Vitor Abreu, Inferences regarding initiation of oceanic crust formation from the U.S. East Coast Margin and Conjugate South Atlantic Margins, in Atlantic Rifts and Continental Margins, Geophysical Monograph 115, American Geophysical Union, 1999.
- System and Process for Secondary hydrocarbon recovery: U.S. Patent 6,125,698.
- Inversion and application of gravity gradients: Preliminary patent, September 2000
- COSMOS CLUB WASHINGTON DC
- PETROLEUM CLUB HOUSTON